Monday, March 11, 2024

Stopover in Vancouver on my Nine-Week Trip to Kelowna, BC

Tuesday-Wednesday March 12-13, 2024 – Because our apartment in Switzerland is undergoing renovations, I headed to British Columbia on March 11th for a 9-week stay with my Mom in Kelowna, BC. On the way there, I stopped to visit a long-time friend in Vancouver, a stop I usually do when I return to Canada for a visit.

Arriving on the 11th at 2 p.m. local time, the first afternoon was spent sleeping….. On the 12th (Tuesday) I had some business to do in Vancouver city, so we headed there first, and then did a nice walk in Boundary Bay, an oceanside park near the US border, a walk we also did the last time I was here. 

My ongoing flight to Kelowna was on March 13th at 5 p.m., so we still had lots of time to visit the chocolate shop where my friend works part-time, and then also walk along the pier at Steveston, always a nice place to stroll around near the ocean.


PART I: May 12: Quick trip to Downtown Vancouver and walk around Boundary Bay Park

Downtown Vancouver

Downtown Vancouver

Downtown Vancouver
s
Boundary Bay Regional Park is located on the Point Roberts peninsula, just north of the US/Canada border. 

From the oceanside park, you can see northwards to the city of Vancouver and the Northshore Mountains. 

Zoomed view of the skyscrapes of Vancouver City. 

Seaside wetlands at low tide. 

Streams that run through the wetlands here. 


An observation tower for bird-watching. From here we headed back to the parking lot. It was only about a 40-minute walk. 

This beautiful bird is called a Northern Flicker. (Last time I was here, we saw young eagles, but not this time.)


PART II: May 13: Walk around Steveston Harbour and the Chocolate Shop

This is the style of homes near Steveston Harbour

Walking along the pier at Steveston Harbour. 

Walking along the pier at Steveston Harbour. 

Boats at Steveston Harbour

Steveston Harbour. We didn't stay long, as we had done a longer walk here last time I was here. 


This is the first time I got to visit the chocolate shop where my friend works. The shop is full of Easter specials, and apparently it will all get sold!


PART III: May 13: Flight to Kelowna at 5 p.m. (After the trip to Steveston Harbour).

A view of the city of Vancouver, as the plane leaves the airport at about 5:30 p.m. 

Down below, the Fraser River enters the ocean just south of the "University Endowment Lands" (Site of University of British Columbia). On the left is Burrard Inlet and Stanley Park (the green peninsula). 


The plane heads north, passing over Bowen Island (Seymour Landing below), and across the inlet past the island is Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver. 

View into Burrard Inlet and Stanley Park in the center. Below is West Vancouver. The plane is heading into the clouds now. 

View far to the south over the layer of clouds: I believe this is the summit of Mt.Rainier, near Seattle in the USA. 

Now passing over Merritt in Central BC. What stands out is the convoluted course of the Nicola River!

Approaching the Okanagan now on the north end of the lake near Vernon. Looking south, the two deltas are Fintry on the right and Carr's Landing on the left. 

The horrible over-developed terrain at the foot of Spion Kop near the south end of Wood Lake in Lake Country. 

And just before landing at the Kelowna Airport (approaching from the north), we pass over the family farm where I grew up!


No comments:

Post a Comment